The SAFTD Instructor level courses are designed to teach the experienced shooter/instructor, how to present the SAFTD courses to the general public using the SAFTD MOI as a basis for instructional methods and techniques. This course also encompasses the proper running of the range portions of the class and the best practices for achieving the maximum amount of learning from the students.
The goal of the Second Amendment Foundation Training Division's “Defensive Shotgun 1” course is to provide the student with a solid foundation in basic knowledge of shotgun safety, various types of shotgun, an understanding of ammunition and how it functions, shooting fundamentals and an introduction to defensive shooting skills.
A person new to the use of a firearm for personal defense typically has a broad range of questions and is faced with learning a number of skills that are critical in the use of a firearm – in this case a shotgun – to defend themselves, their family or someone in their charge. Defensive Shotgun 1 is specifically designed to provide a person new to shotguns the opportunity to gain that knowledge and learn those skills.
A number of topics will be covered in “Defensive Shotgun 1 - Introduction to the Defensive Use of a Shotgun.
These include but are not limited to:
- Safe handling of your firearm.
- Safe Storage of your firearm and ammunition.
- Basic components of a shotgun
- Types and Operation of shotguns including pump and semi-automatic.
- Working with A Natural Defensive Stance
- Integrating the Color Code into Your Life
- Finding Your Balance of Speed and Precision
- Clearing Common Stoppages
- Progressive Shooting Drills
- Definition of Cover and Concealment
- Use of Cover
- Selecting a Shotgun and Ammunition
- Cleaning and Maintain your Shotguns
In order to qualify for taking this two-day Defensive Handgun Instructor Class, the instructor candidate must have passed the following courses already:
-MOI (Methods of Instruction) – two-days
-Range Officer – one-day
-First Aid/CPR/AED Certification – one-day
- A modern, serviceable shotgun, (pump or semi-auto shotgun recommended) in 12, 16 or 20 gauges
- Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred).
- Sturdy Shoes, Long Pants, Shirt with Higher Collar
- Ammunition: Factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS or specialty ammo.
- 200 shells (7 1/2 or #8 shot) 25 Slugs and 25 shells that are 00 Buck.
- Shotshell carrier (either weapon mounted, belt or shotshell pouch)
- Comfortable clothing, knee-pads (optional but recommended).
- Hydration system or Bottled water.
- Baseball Cap
Cost Online: $325 - Cash/Check the day of $350
Harry Poling, Instructor
DOWNLOAD/PRINT FORM and please for our convience and yours fill out the form with a black ink pen and bring it to class with you. This will help us speed up the class time, so we can spend more time training, and improving your skills. Thank You!
DEFENSIVE SHOTGUN I INSTRUCTOR *TWO DAY COURSE
8 - 10 HRS. EACH DAY