Darke County Fish & Game (DCF&G)
- 1407 New Garden Rd, New Paris, Ohio, 45347
This class meets and exceeds most states requirements to apply for a Concealed Handgun License (CHL), Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) or Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). Besides that, this course will also help increase your confidence in carrying a concealed handgun in public or having one at the ready in your home whether you are new to firearms ownership or are an experienced shooter.
This course covers handgun safety, handgun operation, ammunition types, defensive shooting essentials, laws pertaining to owning and carrying firearms, the use of deadly force, and conditions of self-defense. We take it a step further and talk about proper mindset and aftermath of a defensive shooting. After completing the range portion of the course, students will take a written test, and upon completion of the course, they will take home a folder containing a wealth of information, a handbook and their course completion certificate.
A number of topics will be covered. These include but not limited to:
• Safe handling of firearms
• Safe storage of firearms and ammunition
• Basic components and operation of double-action revolvers and semi-automatic pistols depending on what you bring to class.
• Working with a natural fighting stance
• Two-Handed and single-handed engagements
• Situational Awareness
• Finding your balance of speed and precision
• Clearing common pistol stoppages
• Progressive shooting drills
• Pistol and ammunition selection for defensive use.
• Proper presentation of the pistol from concealment.
• Self defense insurance
• Benefits to having a Concealed Handgun License over just practicing Constitutional Carry
• Modern, serviceable and reliable centerfire handgun (pistol or revolver .380 Auto or 38 Special and above, unless physical issues dictate a smaller caliber)
• Eye & ear protection
• Sturdy strong side, pocket, ankle or appendix holster that facilitates one handed holstering preferred. Cross draw, small of back, shoulder holsters and off body carry methods will be permitted ONLY if the student has attended prior training in these methods of carry. Proper holsters as listed in bold are optional but strongly recommended so the student can learn proper presentation from concealment. Please contact us first if you do not have a holster. We may have one that you can try out during class.
• 100 Rounds of factory ammo - absolutely no reloads or specialty ammo
• 3 magazines or speedloaders
• Single or Dual magazine carrier is optional but recommended
• Comfortable clothing
• Hydration system or bottled water
• Shoes - comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion
• Long pants and shirt with a high collar unless you want hot, ejecting brass down your shirt.
• Sturdy belt
The following holsters and carry styles are not permitted:
• Fabric holsters that can collapse when the firearm has been drawn.
• Blackhawk Serpa and similar holsters which require the use of the index finger to deactivate a retention device will not be used in our classes. The only exception will be for Law Enforcement & Military issued types of holsters for duty use.
DOWNLOAD/PRINT FORM and please for our convience and yours fill out the form with a black ink pen and bring it to class with you. This will help us speed up the class time, so we can spend more time training, and improving your skills. Thank You!
JOIN THE WAITLIST
Interested in this course but cant attend the course date(s) or there are no more available dates listed? Join the course waitlist, make a $50 non-refundable deposit and pay the remaining balance of your course when we schedule it. You will be contacted when there is enough interest in scheduling another course. Click here to join.
9:00AM - 5:30PM